Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Pac Man Analogy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Dave Jay on October 22, 2003 02:50:37 UTC

Visualize Pac man in his video game world maze, clearly 2D. Pass a 3D item (anything, let's say a baseball bat) perpendicular to his game plane world right in front of his path. Pac Man could discern the length and width of the bat, but not the height, which is incomprehensible to him. All he'd "see" is a line changing in length as the baseball bat passes through his world and then disappearing.
It's said that the 4th dimension is time, which I agree and don't agree depending on how dimension is defined. We are visually 3D creatures, who, like pac man, are not capable of visually comprehending anything beyond. You can define dimensions mathematically, which makes perfect sense, and by other specifications, means. BUt, I like to think of a visual dimension beyond our comprehension as seeing something strange appear out of nowhere and vanish in the same way Pac man does above. Maybe this is theorically the means of getting around astronomical distances.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins