Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Radiation Is Extremely Weak

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on October 9, 2003 13:50:52 UTC

Especially if the black hole is large. The larger the black hole the weaker the radiation according to Hawking. It is only sizable just before the hole shrinks to nothing.

The radiation comes from virtual pair production right at the event horizon and only if one of the pair is absorbed by the black hole and the other escapes. The escaping one becomes the radiation.

On this basis I do not understand why larger size does not produce larger radiation. But apparently not.

According to a recent paper that I referenced below, the event horizons of black holes can reflect radiation. I also do not understand how this can be.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins