Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Exactly Is A Black Hole?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 7, 2003 06:24:23 UTC

>
>sir
>
> i went through your id on the net recently .i would like to know what excatly is a black hole.the basic things about it, how it is formed etc.....

laji thomas

Best to read Kip Thorne's book on Black Holes. I am not an expert on black holes. You will get more info just searching on the internet. But I will try to answer briefly.

There seems to be one at the center of every galaxy.

Black holes form when stars about 10 or more times more massive than our sun use up all their hydrogen and collapse, generating a supernovae. What is left for such massive stars is a black hole.

The basic thing about a black hole is that light cannot escape from it because its gravity is so strong. It may spin, and it may be charged as well. Spin, mass and charge is all we can know about a black hole.

Here are some ideas about the singularity at the center of every black hole. It is a singularity in the math solutions of einstein's eqs. But not an actual singularity. My belief is that the singularity is bounded by a membrane across which matter is destroyed and the unified field is set up.

This is the creation of the conditions in our universe that existed before the Big Bang. As a result some physicists, namely Lee Smolin, have proposed that black holes create new baby universes. There are pictures in Brian Greene's book "The Elegant Universe" that illustrate how this happens

Yanniru
>

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins