Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Epicenter Given By COBE Data

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on February 4, 2003 07:06:28 UTC

The microwave background data at 3 degrees K has doppler shift. It indications that the earth is moving with respect to that 'first light'. We also can measure the doppler shifts of all the galaxies. I do not know if it suggests a rotation of the visible portion of the universe.

Since we can only observe velocities going towards us or away from us, if a small portion of the galactic field in one direction were at the same doppler as the 'first light' and all galaxies to the left of it were at greater doppler, and all the galaxies to the right of it were at lessor doppler, then that would suggest an epicenter some where along the line of galaxies in that direction.

I have never read that such is true. But it is possible. Still it only tells us that there is an epicenter and in what direction it is. The expansion of the universe would have to be first subtracted out. Then in any direction there would be a maximun doppler. That would give us the distance to the epicenter. So if the universe is rotating, we shouls be able to locate the epicenter if we can see it.

However, if the epicenter is far outside our visible universe, then the galactic light that we can see will all be going in the same direction at pretty much the same doppler, and we could not detect any rotation.

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins