Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Expect An Apology

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Greg Luton on January 25, 2003 22:03:50 UTC

I don't think so, although you are probably correct in stating the kind of remarks being used are unwanted. Perhaps we should both dipense with them.

"That statemet is not true....But i(n) the general case of unequal masses, the rate of change of position of the two masses are not equal"

Reply: The rate of change of position of two unequal masses is not equal. That is true, but it in no way changes the fact that the acceleration due to gravity is an acceleration of the volumes occupied by the respective masses. Your statement in no way invalidates mine.

"If you were correct, then what is being accelerated is a volume related to the distance between the masses. So the further the masses are apart, the larger the volume being accelerated."

Reply: This is true. It would also be true that any measuring stick we used would also be expanding and this would give the illusion that the distance to an orbiting body was static (relative to the eliptic), if the objects were in free fall, they would appear to be accelerating towards each other.

Greg

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins