Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Singulatities

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on November 26, 2002 18:41:55 UTC

Without saying so all of the solutions to Einstein's equations come from or lead to singularities, or do both. In all these solutions the cosmological constant is taken to be zero. Einstein had suggested that it was not zero and of just the right sign and magnitude to make the universe stable.

Since astronomical observation suggests that the universe is flat and expanding, it is now presumed that it is the initial condition of a singularity that fits General Relativity to our universe. Hence the origin of the concept of the Big Bang, rather than the Big Crunch.

However, very recent data indicates that the expansion is accelerating, suggesting that the cosmological constant is indeed non-zero, but of the opposite sign from what Einstein suggested.

Also, the Big Bang is not in reality a singularity as singularities cannot exist in nature, contrary to DrDick's opinion. It is more likely that this universe came from a mother universe. Smolin, Greene and the Russian guy who did inflation theory, now at Stanford (cannot remember his name) have all proposed physics theories for the birth of our universe. Then there is the cyclic universe theory as well.

All this comes from my head. I do not have to copy it from some site as you have to.

You do not seem to be able to figure me out. However, we have all figured you out.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins