Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Agree With Duordi, But...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Nicholas on November 25, 2002 18:30:05 UTC

"Does the typical scientist have tendencies to follow the group, or are they influenced by greed, ego, anger hate, etc. These emotions will cause a
persons logical abilities to diminish. "

You just described every person on the planet. Those aren't psychological problems, they're part of being human. If you're trying to suggest that the average person on the street is somehow better than scientists in these aspects, I'm sure you're mistaken.

Scientists are not "better" than everybody else. In fact, they're probably not even "smarter", generally speaking. Traditionally, intelligence is defined pretty narrowly, usually to include math abilities, memory, and so on. In this way scientists probably are smarter. However, I think intelligence can be defined much more broadly to include emotional fortitude, coordination, etc. In that way, scientists probably aren't any smarter in general. I'm not trying to bash non-scientists, so perhaps you should do scientists the same courtesy.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins