Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Dark Matter

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Nicholas on November 10, 2002 22:20:02 UTC

Dark matter is still a big mystery. It doesn't even have to be dark matter, it could be a problem in physics. MACHOs are almost certainly not the explanation, but they are not completely ruled out yet. WIMPs could still be the explanation, but if it is, we haven't found the right particle yet.

"Why doesn't it affect the auroras?"

I don't see any reason why it would. Explain.

"Does it follow the distribution of bright
matter?"

Not exactly, but roughly, yes. It seems to collect in the same gravitational potential wells. It's interesting that we only see it in massive potential wells (i.e. sizable galaxies). This implies that the smaller ones (dwarfs and globular clusters) can't keep it bound.

"If it is more dense within our solar system, then this implies it is following the distribution of ordinary matter, and therefore has the attributes of ordinary matter."

Why are you saying that it's more dense in our solar system? More dense than what?

"I say that if a probe were fired out the north or south pole of the solar system, the same effect would be seen. Does this suggest the spherical distribution of a halo around the solar system, as has been suggested for the galaxy?"

If someone performed an experiment and got those results, then yes it would.

"If so, what are the dynamics of the orbits of the Dark Matter, and why haven't we seen it, when it would be continuously crossing our path, with considerably more mass than the celestial bodies have?"

WIMPs stands for weakly-interacting massive particles. Weakly interacting means that they're very hard to detect. An example of a weakly-interacting particle is a neutrino. Huge numbers of these particles pass through you every day, but they almost never react with your body. If you took all of the bodies in the solar system and spread them evenly throughout a 100 AU sphere, the resulting cloud would be very sparse.

"Why doesn't it produce collision-drag on observed orbits, instead of apparently causing increased angular velocity?"

Because, like I said, they would be weakly interacting.

"How does the conventionally-accepted Inflation Energy/Condensation-to-Matter theory get readjusted by a factor of 95% without any red faces, by the mathematicians? "

There are plenty of red faces. Dark matter is a problematic issue. The current theories say that ordinary matter condenses onto large potential wells created by dark matter, forming the galaxies we see today.

"I published this some time ago; that all orbiting bodies including asteroids will be found to have a higher angular velocity than expected."

How much higher?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins