Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Neutron Stars

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Nicholas on November 4, 2002 06:41:00 UTC

Since this forum seems like it needs a little more diversity in the science arena, I thought I'd present a few interesting facts about neutron stars to spur some intelligent discussion:

1) Neutron stars are about as massive as one and a half suns but are only about the size of a small city.

2) A chunk of neutron star matter the size of your finger tip would have a mass of about 500 billion kilograms (1 trillion pounds).

3) Gas pressure cannot support neutron stars. Instead, they are held up by quantum mechanical degeneracy pressure (specifically, the Pauli exclusion principle).

4) The pulsar phenomenon is thought to be caused by spinning neutron stars with strong magnetic fields. The pulse period of an isolated pulsar is constant to within a factor of 10^-15.

5) Neutron stars are the cores of old massive stars that exploded in a supernova.

6) Pulsars can exist in binaries. One such binary, PSR1913+16, was observed to be decaying in its orbit by exactly the amount predicted by general relativity. The reason for the decay was gravitational radiation (basically a ripple in spacetime analogous to a light wave). This won Russel Hulse and Joseph Taylor the Nobel Prize in 1993. http://astrosun.tn.cornell.edu/courses/astro201/psr1913.htm

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins