Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Here's The ORIGINAL Equation That Proved 0.9(repeated)=1 :)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Larry J. Rhodes on October 18, 2002 11:59:46 UTC

It was actually my high school algebra teacher, Mr. Townsend, who first "discovered" this equation. Do your research...you'll find he was was credited for this little conundrum.

Okay...let's assign 0.9- (can't put it OVER the nine, so I'll put it beside it) a variable...

x=0.9-

Let's multiply both sides by ten.

10x=9.9-

Now, let's subtract our oringinal equation from our new one, which we all know is a perfectly acceptable mathematical thing to do.

(10x=9.9-)-(x=0.9-)

What do you get?

9x=9

Divide both sides by 9, and you get

x=1

Well, if x=1 after all of these perfectly valid steps, yet it started out equalling 0.9-, then it MUST be true that 0.9- = 1, right? Nope.

There are some things outside the limits of math as we know it. But they are as rare any any of the other phenomena that are outside our understanding, such as antimatter and the like. I often use this to demonstrate the fact that, no matter how complicated you try to make things, very little will ever make up for good old fashioned common sense. We KNOW, rationally, that these two numbers do not equal each other, and all the mathematical equations in the known universe can make it FACT. ;)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins