Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Info

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 11, 2002 17:05:07 UTC

"Do ya'll think itz possible for a black hole to suck in an entire planet.. i mean if a star explodes near some planet and turns into a black hole.. could that very planet be sucked into the black hole or will the planet's (e.g: Earth) gravity help to elude the black hole.."

Absolutely it's possible. Although it is more likely that, at greater distances (such as the distance between the earth and the sun) that the earth would continue to orbit normally (albeit without sunlight) since the total mass (and hence, gravitational pull) remain the same.

".. but wat can we do about a massive galaxy in direct collision with our own.. :( "

Galaxies are extremely sparse. As a matter of fact, if two passed through each other, it's plausible that no stars would ever collide. Also, you can't think of this like a car crash. When Andromeda and us collide, the entire process will take many millions of years. I don't think planets will be vaporized unless a star passes extremely close to them.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins