Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Follow Up To Space Exposure

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott on August 25, 2002 21:30:28 UTC

I am currently writing a story involving a multiple murder on a space station. Looking for info regarding what effects space expose might have on a body, I came across a posting on this very subject (posted by Brett Evill), on this forum dating back to March 27, 2000.

On the topic, Brett wrote:
"A human body exposed to space would not explode. It would freeze-dry, just like foods that are exposed to vacuum to preserve them. . . . A human body contains moisture, and will therefore give forth water vapour. But this will not accumulate to the point of satuartion: the molecules will gradually drift forth into the vastness of Space. So the body will gradually dry out. . . . It may take quite some time for the body to freeze-dry itself.
As for a living person exposed to a vacuum. . . a person would pass out for lack of oxygen within about fifteen seconds, and would shortly die of anoxia. . . . There might, however, be some superficial injury, a combination of frostbite and chapping, which would affect the moist tissues of the eyes and respiratory tracts well before death."

Brett contends that such freezing would be somewhat "gradual." My question is: How gradual? And also what discernible difference, if any, might it make (i.e. in an autopsy) if the exposure is made POSTMORTUM--and for only a very brief few minutes? What effect on the exposed blood and skin?-etc.

My thanks for any input--and now I sign off wishing all a cheery day!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins