Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Close

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Joe Antognini on August 3, 2002 07:18:01 UTC

What would happen if the sun suddenly changed into a black hole (it would still keep it's same mass)? Well, actually, nothing would happen. The effects of black holes only become apparent if you get relatively 'very' close. In fact, every thing seems normal until you get to the boundry of the old sun. From there on out, the closer you get the stronger gravity gets. In the old sun, after crosing the boundry, gravity becomes weaker because particles on the other side of you cancel out some of the gravity. In the case of a black hole, however, there are no other particles to cancel out gravity, so you can get infinitely close and gravity will keep rising. Actually, you would probably have to be infinitely close to feel infinite gravity (We'll never know, unfortunately, because it's on the other side of the event horizon). Anyway, to get to your question, black holes probably don't have infinite gravatational energy. And larger black holes have more energy because their gravatational field occupies a larger area. So, I hope I actually did answer your question in all this blabber.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins