Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Believe What We Have...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Johanson on July 19, 2002 19:26:02 UTC

...is stunned silence.

Your theory is based on the assumption that the interval of time identified as "the present" can be reduced to zero and that time passes directly from the future to the past. Your theory hinges upon your assertion that "the present has no time."

You've assigned a zero value to the present and done away with it altogether.

You can't do that. It's not allowed.

We experience the present, and it takes time to do it. How long is the present? I have no idea. It depends on who you ask. But you can't define its length in time as zero.

Let's begin by assigning a generous amount of time to the present; one second. That's too much you say? Fine. Divide it in half.

What? A half a second is still too much for the interval between the future and the past? Fine. Divide it in half again.

Oh come on now! Surely you can go along with 1/4 of a second for the present, can't you? No? OK, divide it in half again.

Are you beginning to see where this is headed? You may divide time in half as often as you wish, but you will never arrive at an interval of zero. Oh, you can talk about time as it approaches the limit of zero, but you can't ever get there.

For this reason I cannot accept your theory, as interesting as it is. You cannot simply declare that no time elapses between the future and the past.

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins