Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
In Two Respects-

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Joe Antognini on June 17, 2002 23:51:03 UTC

If you mean 'speed of gravity' in the sense of how fast one gets pulled to the ground, then here is your answer. In a free fall plane, the plane is moving at the speed of gravity with no energy exerted by the plane. However, if the plane pointed downward and turned on the propellers, it would go faster- in other words, faster than the speed of gravity. Needless to say, it might hurt when contact with ground is made, but it proves the point that you wouldn't be able to go through the Earth by moving faster than the speed of gravity (Unless you broke through everything). However, in the case of a black hole, at the event horizon the speed of gravity is the speed of light. As nothing can travel faster, at this point (when you are still in the universe) you cannot go any faster (though you may be able to on the other side of the event horizon). So, you would probably end up like all objects that fall in- squished.
In the other sense of the term, it could mean how fast gravity affects other objects. in this case, I believe that gravity moves at the speed of light. So, it would be impossible to escape it in that sense. I'm not sure if I have actually answered your question, so if I haven't then please reply.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins