Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Blackholes - Time Distortion And Rotation Link?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Alan Read on April 26, 2002 06:50:53 UTC

I am not a scientist, so accept my appologies if the questions are naive. I am interetsed in the fact that their is some belief that time distortion may occur when an object of significant density and size rotates rapidly in space.

I have read about the speed at which neutron stars rotate and the density of these objects and presumably thay would therefore produce some measurable effect, therefore I expect that the effect of a rotaing blackhole would be to an order of magnitude greater.

I have two questions:

1. How fast do black holes rotate? and
2. To what extent does this effect the observable characteristics of blackholes? i.e. how much time distortion occurs because of their density combined with their rotation and does this begin to account for the fact that to all intents and purposes they seem nolonger too exist in this universe. (I am aware of the radiation at the borders of the singularity sic Steven Hawkins etc)

On a seperate note can anyone tell me how light actually manages to pass through solid objects to varying degrees. Is it detroyed and re-created at each step of the way through the medium i.e. does the photon that enters the medium re-emerge unchanged from the other side or has some form of transition taken place. (Wrong forum so just point me in the right direction please.)

Alan.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins