Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Small Question

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Joe Antognini on March 14, 2002 05:31:37 UTC

I've been thinking, and have come up with a question, to which I have no answer. I was hoping one or more of these delightful forumers would help me. Let us imagine that we are in the Einsteinian train compartment. The curtains are drawn and the train is moving along smoothly. If the compartment has very good springs, you can't tell that you are moving. That is the Law of Relativity. Now let's say that you are still on this train, but it has somehow accelerated to 299,999.999999 kps. One one-millionth of a kilometer per second less than the speed of light. Now the train has stopped accelerating and is moving smoothly. You cannot estimate your speed. Now you pick up a ball you find laying in the room. You try throwing it in the direction the train is moving. If you throw it, it will go more than one one-millionth of a kps. But if it does, then it will be going faster than the speed of light. So, its intertia prevents you from throwing it. But then wouldn't you have violated the Law of Relativity by knowing that you are moving because you can't throw the ball. Please answer, although it was a tad longer than I had anticipated.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins