Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It Must Not Like Me So I'll Just Go Away..

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bruce on March 5, 2002 08:08:53 UTC

describe the interchange in the t-coordinate and r-coordinate for r < 2M (keep in mind that the r-coordinate is the reduced circumference [circumference / 2pi]). The curvature factor (1-2M/r) in the Schwarzchild metric becomes negative. In consequence, the signs reverse between the radial part and the time part of the metricm making the dt^2 term negative and the dr^2 term positive. Space and time themselves do not interchange roles: Coordinates do: The t-coordinate changes in character from a timelike coordinate to a spacelike coordinate and the r-coordinate changes in character from a spacelike coordinate to a timelike one. What does this mean to say that inside the Schwarzchild radius the r-coordinate changes in character from a spacelike coordinate to a timelike coordinate? It means our free float frame moves to ever smaller r with all the inevitability that we oprdinarily associate with the passage of time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins