Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Bruce-Still Trying To Understand

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 4, 2002 16:17:59 UTC

the behavior of space inside a black hole.

Please help me with the following approach:

The solution for a non-spinning black hole, according to the literature, changes the time coordinate from imaginary time to the real radial coordinate of the black hole, when the event horizon is crossed.

That is, time which is ordinarily an imaginary coordinate in GR becomes a real coordinate within the event horizon. Moreover, it is said to be the radial coordinate, which is presumably zero at the singularity and increasing to some constant value at the event horizon. So far, is this correct? (Forgive me for just asking you questions rather than solving the problem myself- getting lazy in my old age)

If so, then time is decreasing as we approach the center of the singularity. Or is there some other measurement of time? This all seems so paradoxical that I think I'll stop here and wait until I hear from you.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins