Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Theory Of Relativity

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Vincent Sauve/">Vincent Sauve on January 12, 1998 02:40:41 UTC

: : : : Could someone give me, or tell me where I could find, a through explaination of Einsteins Theory of Relativity? I mean, I know about the bowling ball on the rubber sheet, but where does it apply? The places I have searched have either had not enough information, or a lot of physics talk that I don't understand. I do know some physics, but I'm only fourteen years old and I'm not a genius!

: : : : : : Also, check out my theory on wormholes. You may find it interesting.

: : Hi,I am 17 years old, and I think we have the same hobbies.I am also interested in the Theory of Realativity. : : I know really a lot about the special theory of Relativity, and also few things from the General Theory of Relativity. : : If you are interested in infos about those things and if you want to discuss with me, please send me an Email.

: : I hope on answer, so long.

: : Gerd Krizek

: hei! my name is ela g and im 14 years old and i : have the same qustion!!!

You guys would be better off skipping the subject because it is a very complicated topic with the teachers presenting the subject in an inconsistant and confusing way. I've read many books on the subject, and in my opinion there isn't a single non-mathematical treatment that is correct. If you ever find someone who believes they understand special and general relativity ask them this question: If there were a hole that extended through the earth and an object dropped in the hole would take 2700 seconds to reach the other end and if in this thought experiment we repeatedly double the mass of the earth (while leaving the diameter the same) we would find that in 16 doublings the object would then take only 0.041 seconds to make the trip across. This is a little faster than light speed. Many will not be able to accept this result. But those who really know special and general relativity know that this is perfectly okay. And furthermore if that object is a small laboratory an experimenter will find that any experiment done within the spacetime region of this laboratory will have constant results in any direction whether it be a bullet fired from a gun or a light beam directed in any direction. Light will have the usual value of 300,000 kilometers a second. But the key to understanding this is that our measure of space and time varies. Our reference for measurements is and remains the laboratory regardless of the laboratories varing speed relative to the outside universe. This freefalling laboratory is in what is called an inertial reference frame. All freefalling situations are inertial. Special relativity is exquisitly valid in inertial reference frames. If you have a particular question email me at Spacetimer@msn.com

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins