Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Ok.. But ..

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael on October 15, 2001 07:42:14 UTC

What was the super-expansion and what it means that some regions of the universe became disjoint ?? I guess the key is the sentence: "It is only now that these areas of the universe are coming within our 15 billion light year horizon." ... but what exactly does it mean ??? They were disjoint and now they become joint, in what sense, how it is possible ? Also I must say I become lost when the talk is about "our" Universe versus the "overall" Universe. Maybe I need some introduction to these concepts. I am physicist but with little knowledge of this cosmology topic.

Bruce, your particular assertion "had time to reach us since t = 0" makes me wonder since in the case of "my" galaxy the light not only had time to reach us but even run away from us. What I mean that, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I don't see how it is possible there are parts of universe from which light still has not reached us. Again, my argument is purely geometrical based on relatively small size of universe comparing to speed of light. But again, if this particular galaxy was not in "our" Universe but in this other "overall" universe then maybe I get my explanation provided I get to understand what these concepts really mean.

I feel I ma learning something important here.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins