Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Appologize For The Remark I Made...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on October 10, 2001 23:19:42 UTC

I just hate when I attempt to speculate for the purpose of invoking interesting conversation, only to get slapped with "YOUR AN IDIOT WHO NEEDS TO GO BACK TO HIGHSCHOOL."
Besides...I'm in highschool believe it or not, so perhaps I can circumvent "going back to highschool", and just go straight to a university when I graduate??? I like to believe that when I get out of highschool, I can sharpen my knowledge of physics to a fine point through years of rigorous training and collaboration with professors, peers, etc., and then embark on a physics career.
Until then, I'd like the credit of being able to at least comprehend, and discuss physics topics on a quasi-professional level with college graduates; topics and terminology of which 99% of the population wouln't even recognize, let alone be able to discuss with any level of understanding...
At least I know better enough than to come in here asking questions like, "Why don't we use a powerful rocket to travel faster than light and go back in time", or, "If the spin of the Earth slowed to a hault, would we float away into space?" We all know those are trivial, elementary questions. I'm more interested in the deep underlying consequences of natural symetries or the result of applying a quantized geometrical framework to a space-time metric. Shouldn't I be free to ask questions when I'm confused?, rather than receive snobby responses such as "Do me a favor and quit calling this junk "relativity".
As for getting schooled in the mathematics department, I can only learn what I can teach myself... well it's easy to learn college algebra and analytic geometry. Where I get into trouble, is understanding why the number e pops up in quantum phases transitions, or solving n-order differential equations in vector analysis. Does that really make me an idiot? I can't believe I asked such stupid questions as "What are the physical ramifications of treating space-time as if it had two time dimensions as opposed to one?" Only an idiot would ask that, right? Besisdes... everybody knows that two time dimensions is absurd in the Tensor geometries of Einsteins General Relativity, DUH! something must be wrong with me... I guess I'm just a lil slower than the other highschool kids.

P.S. - I Hate Star Trek. The last time I even watched five minutes of an episode... I was sitting on my uncles lap playing with race cars on the coffee table as he watched with my father. I would much rather have watched Gumbi at the time, or Scooby Doo.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins