Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Perhaps Stephen Hawkings Imaginary Time Idea....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on October 8, 2001 21:10:05 UTC

Could be an example of evaluating time in two dimesnions. Since imaginary time insinuates imaginary numbers and hence the complex plane, time is measured along a time-plane rather than a time-line. Perhaps then, there could be imaginary space too. Why not?

What if time IS the imaginary component to space, or vice versa. Then space time would be representative of the complex plane, for one dimension of space. If we took two dimesnions of space, then we would require two mutualy orthogonal complex planes (requires four dimensions). Likewise, three-space requires three orthogonal planes, requires six dimensions. Is that why complex numbers pop up in the time evolution of wave systems in quantum mechanics? Now I'm just thinking out loud and rambling... forgive me.

Just a few interesting ideas.... they're really not as stupid as Bruce makes them out to be, even if they are a little abstract and unorthodox; it's just curiosity at work. Seems to me, if orthodoxy were the way to go, we would have a complete theory of physics by now (quantum gravity). Maybe then I could justify the stomping of ideas that seem "off the beatin trail".

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins