Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Nice Post Alan...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on September 28, 2001 16:23:47 UTC

I anticipated somebody coming along and "picking" my explaination apart for contradictions ... so I tried to word it as unambiguously as possible, as well as accurately accounting for "what really happens". I believe I failed miserably....

Do you rememeber the post, "Thanx for the compliment my friend"?, where I said that scientists wonderred if our limited human language was even capable of describing "quantum reallity"....
Well uncertainty, particle/wave duality, virtual particles...etc... are all prime examples of touchy language subjects! All the contradictions that popped up in my explanation above, were due to MY choice of words, not the Copenhagen Interpretation itself. Did you notice I put a lot of words in quotes? i.e. "nothingness", "virtual particles", "non-existent", because some of these are very sensitive words to use when trying to explain "reallity". To say that a particle doesn't exist and then to turn around and say that it can effect momenta of other particles is "in essence" what happens, but I can't believe I even tried to use such an ambiguous, and contradictory, method of wording. When I say "in essence", what I mean is that this is what happens mathematicaly. But as is usualy the case ... trying to give "meaningfull" interpretation to raw mathematical equations, can sometimes give seemingly unreal and contradictory possibilities. I'll try to get back at you with a better explaination, Alan... I hope it will answer all your questions. I take the blame for this blunder...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins