Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What About The Letters On This Screen?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on September 14, 2001 02:48:23 UTC

What are they? ......continuous flashes of light that encounter the phosphorus chemicals on my computer screen's pixels? What you are reading right now is the same thing Peter will be reading is the same thing Alex will be reading....and so on and so on....but the ACTUAL A's B's and C's on this screen surely can't be in two places at once.....

Or can they.....

Can you hold a pencil in your hand at YOUR house whilst I hold the same pencil
in my hand at MY house?

The reason I bring this up is because it was a precurssor to a solid point I'd like to bring to your attention. I am proposing that it is NOT actualy objects that we see and touch that we call "real". What I think is real is one thing, and one thing only, ....INFORMATION! This is nothing new..... as anybody with a firm foundation in quantum theory will follow my point. We don't distinguish one quantum particle from another by anything other than differing QUANTUM STATES. This is the root of the EPR paradox and quantum teleportation. If anybody has read up on the principles of theoretical quantum telepathy.....it's not the actual "particle" that we send but rather the infomrmation about the particle's "quantum state". In other words we transform one particle into another so to speak. Since the two are absolutely indistinuishable by any other trates, some find it philosophicaly safe to say that it "became", and IS the other particle.
And also we must remember that a particle has a non-zero wave function value at every point in space time. The wave function is simply the "uncollapsed" quantum state, and hence I myself find it safe to say that the particle IS everywhere at once until an observer collapses the wave function ....well.... the information is everywhere at once. So what we call the collapse of the "wave function" is simply a conscious extraction of local inforamtion from reallity. I "feel" a desk when a nerve cell in my hand SENDS the information to my brain. I "see" when a photon transports information to my retina. Therefore what you are reading on this screen is STORED information that CAN be in two places at once. Just like a chair can be reduced to molecules can be reduced to atoms can be reduced to...etc..etc... Ultimately EVERYTHING in the known universe can be reduced to INFORMATION;

Information = multiple places at once = quantum state = equals method of perception = what we call real....

Do objects in our dreams have information? We certainly percieve them to be in a definite position from time to time. One object imposes an action on another and CAUSES a reaction, (like when we talk in our dreams, our mouth causes a reaction from "dream" people). Is position a piece of information? Of course in dreams, objects can spontaneously appear, dissapear, re-locate, and seem to disobey all established laws of physics. Perhaps there are wave functions, asscociated with "brain states" that are simply more "relaxed" and give rise to more "leniant" laws of physics in dreams.
Some laws do stick however...... You may throw gravity out the window (when you fly), conservation of energy out (when things disappear), and logic out (when you enter your house from your familiar neighborhood and step out your same front door into an entirely different setting (perhaps a different country)).....ever happened to you? BUT I have never ONCE met somebody who slept the course of a dream that ran backwards! Have you? In my dreams, nobody has ever answered a question before I asked it, no matter how outlandish the dream..... And "a > b > c, c > a" is still as absurd a paradox as ever, even if you are discussing it with elves and leprechauns. Perhaps this could give insight to the one-directional character of time..... is time a manifestation of our mental activities? Are there two forms to existance, (physical information and mental interpretation)?

Since an object that falls under an event horizon can no longer cause anything in our universe, under your defintion......does it any longer exist? Can it still have a non-zero wave function value in my backyard as it did before? Is spontaneous quantum tunneling possible via Heisenberg Uncertainty; if so can it escape?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins