Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Don't Think This Works Alex

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on August 31, 2001 12:00:19 UTC

Alex,

What exists in the case that we assume something already exists? If it is something physical, then how do you make the world purely 'mathematical'? That is, a physical thing that is fundamental (i.e., it's existence is not explained by mathematics since it just happens to exist) cannot itself follow any rules, otherwise those rules would be more fundamental. At best all you can say is that our mathematics is a rough approximation and nothing more (just coincidence).

However, if there are real [mathematical] rules, then the rules are more fundamental. In that case, you have the same problem all over again where the rules are built upon axioms and you should explain where the axioms came from (since you obviously have an established relationship between axioms and theorems of math.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins