Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Differential Equations And The Force Of Gravity

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Mark on July 24, 2001 22:58:04 UTC

It is said that gravity warps space-time, in a manner analagous to a dip in a rubber sheet where a massive object rests. From that one can deduce that a dense object of equal mass to a less dense object will put a deeper "dent" in space-time and hence have a greater escape velocity. This is a well known fact and the analogy presents quite an accurate visualization of the concept. Since gravity will contract an object and hence exert a stronger local force due to increase in density, then the object should contract further. Because it contracts a little further.....then the gravitational force is somewhat stronger and makes the object a little bit denser. Its obvious that the process is a repetitive loop and the force of gravty mounts as does the density as does the force of gravity as does the density as does the.....ad infinitum. Obviously since gravity is not infinite for every observed object in the universe, the loop must be composed of terms of vanishing intinsity such that the strength converges on some finite value. My question is simply this....is that an accurate proposal on my part, and is this process taken into account in the equations of GR or is the process excluded due to negligable influence on the output value of the equations?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins