Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Can That Wave Approach Be Extended To Detection Theory

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on May 25, 2001 11:25:23 UTC

Just an amazing post by Alexander. It's like all of quantum physics is just an aspect of classical wave motion. Is that an correct impression?

And I wonder how far it can be extended. Most important,I think, can it be extended to explain "collapse of the wave function"? A good canonical problem to consider is the detection of photons in a beam of laser light.

Let's assume that the laser light is in its far field beyond the diffraction limit so that the waves are still coherent, but spread across the entire expanding beam.

Then if we place a detector in the beam, electrons in its atoms will become excited as photons are absorbed. The atom is of course very small compared to the laser beam. So the problem is to understand how the coherent, plane waves (at least on the scale of the atom) can shrink down to the size of the atom almost instantly and excite the electron.

So my question is if there is any possibility that Alexander's wave approach to quantum mechanics can explain such behavior.

My guess is that it cannot as Schroedinger's equation also cannot. Interesting- it puts the S eq in the classical realm and wave collapse becomes the quantum aspect. A new paradigm.

I still think that at least GUT theory will be needed to explain collapse as the only phenomena I know of that is comparable to collapse is the almost instant inflation of the universe, which comes from GUT theory according to Guth. Collapse would be almost the same set of equations, but with a negative exponent rather than the positive one that led to the Guth theory of inflation.

I consider this to be the outstanding problem in low energy physics.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins