Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Not Faster?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Troutz on May 8, 2001 19:16:02 UTC

I think the argument comes about because gravity appears to function instantly over any distance. It takes the light from the sun several seconds to get here because it travels at the speed of light.

Does it take the gravitational influence of the sun on us the same several seconds to get here? Is the pull of gravity that keeps us in orbit really several seconds old at all times? Much the same as we see distant stars as they looked millions of years ago?????

If the gravity holding us in orbit around the sun is NOT seconds old, then gravity works instantly and appears to travel faster than light. If it does travel at light speed then we're constantly using old gravity.

I guess we could detonate the sun and see how long it takes for it's gravitational influences to vanish. If the gravity dropped off before we saw the light from the explosion, then gravity is faster. If it dropped off at the same time the light reached us, gravity travels at the speed of light.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins