Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Later Edward

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 28, 2001 00:51:01 UTC

You have to understand the origin of this thread.

Someone claimed that the universe has a center of mass.

Others like JP and Alex saidno.

I said that there is a center of mass of the visible universe. And in addition, because gravitons travel at the speed of light, we only feel the gravity of essentially what we can see, plus all the intervening dark matter of course.

The discussion then diverged into whether or not the universe is uniform. If unifvorm then the center of mass correspondes to the location of the observer. I claimed nonuniformity on all scales that we can see and used Geller's galactic maps as evidence.

They seemed to say that the uniformity exists at larger scales. I agreed except that those scales are larger than 30 billion light-years and we cannot feel the effects of the gravity of those scales. So they in a gravitational sense do not contribute to the center of mass.

Thank you for the opportunity to sum up the arguments. Afterall its Harvard against Utah & Russia.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins