Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Universe Does Not Have A Center Of Mass.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 9, 2001 19:46:04 UTC

A her. Margaret Geller of the Harvard Smithonian Observatory. The edges are as far as the present telescopes can see. Not sure if this includes Keck, which was constructed at ITEK while I was working there. Her data that I refer to may be too old for that.

But it occurs to me that it is quite reasonable for the earth to be close to the center of mass because if we look far enough, which is also back in time, there are no more galaxies. So the speed of light at which gravitational effects are transmitted ensures that we are reasonably close the the center of the gravitational effects that we can detect.

So its a matter of definition. There has to be centers of gravitational effects which are observer location dependent. Since that is all we can measure, do we gave the right to hypothesize about things we cannot measure, like the distribution of mass in the universe disregarding the speed of light effects.???

It's a little like talking about god. We can only assume that all that mass is in existence. We cannot see it. It's beyond our horizon.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins