Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: A Clock At Singularity........

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bruce on March 6, 2001 03:55:05 UTC

For a non-spinning black hole my answer was correct. But as my friend 'relativityguy' points out spinning black holes are real and non-spinning are probable not. The Schwarzchild solution, for spherically symmetric non-spinning bodies of mass, was the first solution to Einstein's equations (first metric). Its good even for objects with small angular speed but a different solution is needed when the black hole is spinning very fast. Follows is what relativityguy said.
"Since you were interested in the behavior of the probe to remote observer clock behavior near r = 0 I
should bring out the point. If you have no charge or spin then you don't have a hole that is physically
realistic, dt/dt would hypothetically diverge at r = 0 as you've suggested. If you add some charge then
you still don't have a realistic hole but in this case the clock never reaches r = 0. If you then add some
spin, you will have a realistic hole at least at the nonquantum scales, but now in the cases that the probe
reaches r = 0 dt/dt will be finite at the origin."
Here is relativityguy's site 'Modern Relativity'.
http://home.aol.com/zcphysicsms/modernrelativity.htm

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins