Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: What Is This?????

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by J Raymond Redbourne on March 4, 2001 18:08:31 UTC

Check Chapter 13. Simple arithmetic is all it took to shoot down the Michelson-Morley experiment. While I'm responding to this, I might add that repeating the old saw about Earth continuously falling towards Sun, should be balanced by stating that because of Newton's 2nd Law re: Momentum, Earth is also continuously flying off into space. Both statements are absurd, and mutually exclusive. Orbital balance is absolutely maintained by corrective negative feedback to any perturbations, such as the meteor impact at ~65 million years ago, that is thought to have wiped out the dinosaurs. Any perturbation to planetary orbit is almost instantly corrected by a change in orbital angular momentum, which restores centripetal/centrifugal balance. I don't need math to demonstrate a simple mechanical principle. Your weight-on-a-string serves quite nicely. As the weight is whirling around, just pull the string in a bit shorter, and angular velocity increases. What this demonstrates is that, if a planet is knocked a bit closer to the Sun by an impact, orbital velocity increases, thereby increasing centrifugal force, and re-stabilizing the orbit. Got to go, will get back on the other points ASAP.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins