Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: 21-centimeter Line?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Al Gobeo on February 18, 2001 01:52:16 UTC

I never hear of it before, so I launched "Sherlock" a Macintosh search program and it to me to the following web page:
http://classweb.howardcc.edu/astronomy/Presentations/Chapter18/tsld021.htm
Then I read the following

Rotation Velocity and the Width of the 21-centimeter Line

the galaxy. Because of the Doppler effect, 21-centimeter photons from one side of the galaxy are shifted toward shorter wavelengths, those from the other side are shifted toward longer wavelengths, and those from the central regions are not shifted. The result is a 21-centimeter line that is broadened according to how rapidly the galaxy is rotating. Because the rotation speed is governed by the central mass of a galaxy, the width of the line is related to the mass of the galaxy and can be used to estimate its absolute magnitude for distance determination.

This shows how the rotation velocity of a spiral galaxy is related to the width of the 21-centimeter emission line from hydrogen gas in

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins