Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Why Is Space Black? And Some Other Questions...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by MrOKL on November 3, 2000 22:51:55 UTC

brace urself guys tis gonna be a long post...

just suddenly wondered.
like richard said, if we were to take one metre cube of space...it would most probably be transparent isnt it? since there is nothing in space but maybe hydrogen particles and "dark matter".

is the dark matter the one that makes space "look" black?

or issit because the edge of the universe is black? and cos theres virtually nothing in space to hinder our view, we are able to see the edge of the universe?

or issit cos theres so many black holes out there that it makes space black, tho this is more insane.
--------------------------------------------------

i remember someone saying that our galaxy may be rotating around a blackhole just like one of the planets in the solar system...except that this solar system has much more "planets".

since black holes suck in particles and matter, issit possible that this "solar system", which includes our galaxy, are being sucked into the black hole without us knowing? why would we not know that? my conclusion would be because everything around us are slowly rotating into the black hole, just like our galaxy, and therefore we would not know that.

i know this conclusion is quite mad, cos if we are indeed getting sucked into a "central" blackhole, why isnt our gravity getting affected(our gravity refers to our solar system's gravity in general)?

i understand that before that might happen, our sun will explode(how do you use supernova here?), and devour the whole of our solar system, but since there are so many solar systems out there, and each and everyone of them may explode also, as they explode they throw out matter against the "central" blackhole's gravity, which gives the hole more stuff to suck in.

however, if we were to look in spacetime curvature...the black hole is actually pulling the carpet on which all matter rest on...which means it doesnt matter whether a star explodes or not...it simply "eats" up the carpet.

at the same time however, as math shows, our universe is constantly expanding, this might mean either our universe will NEVER be sucked into a blackhole, or it WILL in some time.

OK QUESTIONS TIME!!
1. Why is our space black?

2. are we being sucked into a "central" blackhole unknowingly?

3. how do you use supernova in a sentence?

and please...correct my mistakes above if i have any.
i dont mind if u have a long post, i will still read it and reply to it...
thanks!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins