Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: Black Hole Entropy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Giota on November 1, 2000 15:59:12 UTC

My friend CL, your text reminded me how Bekenstein's theorem is called: "A black hole hasn't hair"! The theorem says that you wrote: When a black hole is formed, an outer observer can define three propertiesof the hole, mass, charge and spin.
We usually expect the charge to be zero because every black hole with non zero charge will soon attract and absorb an equal number of opposite electrical charges. So the only physical quantities that finally characterize a black hole is mass and spin. All the other details (the "hair" of the theory) lost at the stage of collapse. During the collapse we lose so many information and as quantity of information is related with the negative entropy of the system, we think that at first it's possible to define the entropy of a black hole. Due to the ideas of static physics, Bekenstein suggested that the entropy of a black hole is propotionable to the logarithm of quantum small-situations that has something to do with the whole mass and whole spin of the black hole. Anyway…
At the end it is said that what you wrote CL… the entropy and the area of the black hole is related.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins