Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Double Black Holes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Giota on October 25, 2000 22:49:55 UTC

The astronomers Jelle Kaastra and Nico Roos of Leiden observatory found double black holes that was rotating . The one observed in quassar 3C273 (240 million years away) and the other in the gallaxy M87 (52 million years away from earth).
Are any other observed? How are they formed? By the crash of two galaxies?
I ask because that's what i read. Scientists call this phnomenon "Galactic Cannibalism"! By this crash might be formed a double black hole- two black holes that the one rotates around the other.
The two scientists said that the lowest mass of the double in M87 is 19 million times greater than the sun's and the higher is maybe 2.6 billion times greater! At this double the one part makes a full rotation around the other in 23 years (approximately) with speed 2,800 km/sec. Between the two parts the distance is calculated 50 times the distance Sun-Pluto!!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins