Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: RE: This A Different Message

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by CL on October 18, 2000 02:20:18 UTC

I tried to take some of what you said into account when I posted above because what you say is true. I figured I`d be technical in my answer for purposes of making a point. You see, on Earth the atmosphere prevents your hand from traveling over the mug at an uninterupted or constant velocity without work being performed by your muscles to fight friction and hence deceleration. So the effort your muscles use to push your hand over the distance of the mug I do believe is a valid performance of work. (I may contradict myself because once again friction is negligable, I was just trying to make a point based on a technicality). And I also may have screwed up my wording when I was talking about escaping a blackhole. What I meant was that you can fly past a blackhole at a given distance and keep going without putting any effort into your flight speed. The only thing that happens is a curve in your path but you needn`t accelerate or use work. Now if you`re already trapped in orbit then you do need to accelerate to get away from the blackhole (if I said no work was involved in this instance then that was my mistake).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins