Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Energy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by CR on July 24, 1997 14:37:30 UTC

: I have been hearing alot of being able to travel the light of speed if we were pure energy. But the only problem is that, we really don't know what energy is. I have done some hardcore searching for a good definition of energy. We know that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only changed in form, but there was a man who created a generator in which the total output energy was far greater than the total input energy. But my question is what is energy? I don't want to know about the properties of energy or laws of energy, I just want to know what exactly makes up energy.

Ah... Well, energy is not a tangible (physical) thing, it is a concept and was (and still is, but to a lesse degree) used by physicists as a unit in their formulae which was required to make them balance. This was necessary because matter (the stuff that the Universe is made of) cannot be created or destroyed, it can only interact with other matter to form other particles, etc. As the physicists discovered more particles, they were able to fill some of the gaps in the formulae which were previously called energy. The word energy is still used widely today, because it is often quicker to say something lost of gained energy, than to say that as a result of many particle interactions, the average amount of vibrations or average speed of some of those particles were reduced or increased. By the way, good question.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins