Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
How Is Radiation Produced At The Event Horizon?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by ngc_4151 on July 31, 2000 21:37:42 UTC

according to hawking (to many others as well) virtual particles may get real at an event horizon. hawking says that black holes have a certain temperature.
when a positron falls into the black hole and its electron partner is released and can be observed. but as far as i know an electron is not exactly a photon. if an object has a temperature it emits a characteristic spectrum of em-radiation right? in harrison`s "cosmology" i read that many photons are produced when a virtual particle gets real and thats what we actually see.
whats right now. are just massive elementary particles produced and the temperature is calculated by converting mass into energy or are photons actually a result of turning virtual particles into real ones?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins