Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Is Matter In Black Hole Very Cold?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by shavenyak on June 27, 2000 20:47:15 UTC

I don`t think "temperature" really has any meaning for a black hole singularity. After all, temperature is really the motion of particles of a substance in relation to one another. In a singularity, there aren`t really any particles, just one lump of mass. There is also no motion, since the mass is compressed into a single point.

As the black hole collapses, I think it is safe to say its temperature would increase as the pressure increased and volume decreased. But once it shrinks to the size where quantum mechanics govern it behavior rather than conventional physics, all bets are off.

Anyway, the only way the temperature of an object has any effect on anything is by the radiation it emits or by contact with other objects. The black hole singularity emits no radiation and any object which comes into contact with the singularity will become part of it, so it`s really a bit meaningless to talk about the temperature of the singularity.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins