Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: To LH

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by CL on June 12, 2000 21:00:06 UTC

You`re totaly correct on that statement on laws of physiscs being man made. But it is my belief that there are interpreted laws of physics (man`s beliefs as to the absolute nature of reallity) and there are actual laws of physics (the absolute unbreakable rules of nature whether we know them or not). What I meant in saying that the laws of physics (the actual ones) are unbreakable because that would be impossible, was that if you could conceve of breaking an actual law of physics, you would eventualy come to reasoning that the thought process you were mapping out in your head would lead to a dead end. In other words, your human mind would register an error screen saying, "wait a minute, that can`t be right". Just like if you take a child`s cheap second grade calculator and try to find the square root of negative one (impossible for a non-scientific calculator), your mind can`t conceve of a world were a set law of physics in this universe doesn`t exist. Does it make since to you for somebody to be four years older than their father? Or for somebody to see the back of their head using only one mirror? Or a basketball that will bounce higher than its initial dropping height, so that if it fell of a table, it would never again stop bouncing? These are all paradoxes in themselves. And I think that breaking one of nature`s rules (in your head as this could never actualy happen) would lead to a result resembling one of the above logical impossibilities. I understand that you could imagine a world without gravity, but if you used common sence and logic, you would soon arise to a situation in your head that you`d say, "this universe is not possible". (without gravity, stars would never make the heat and light required to support life, or explode and create the dust we call planets, or fuse together our atoms, so you would never exist in such a universe to ponder your impossible universe in the first place. That universe would be a cold, dessolate, meaningless, lifeless, exsitance of a soup of hydrogen not much hotter than absloute zero. And if our universe were such, this conversation would`ve never happened and I would be totaly wrong as to all I just said even though I wouldn`t have even been able to say this in the first place in that universe....Thank god for the rule of gravity).

One last thing, I think man has come close to being very accuarte in recording these "actual" laws of physics, mathematics being one of their logical tools. And so man`s laws of physics can be said as being "correct", because they wouldn`t be written in the books if we knew they weren`t.

Thanx again for reading,
CL
(Some say I`m a genius but I just say that some people have a talent for basketball or singing, mine lies in math and comprehension of science....I`m a normal 16 year old with a talent)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins