Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes It Can, (Its All Reletive)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Cris on June 7, 2000 02:11:51 UTC

This is a basic explanation of what happens.
Say bob is watching me fall into a black hole.
bob sees things quite differently from me. As I get closer and closer to the horizon, he sees me move more and more slowly. In fact, no matter how long he waits, he will never quite see me reach the horizon.

Why does he see things this way? The best way to think about it is that it`s really just an optical illusion. It doesn`t really take an infinite amount of time for you to cross the horizon. As you get closer and closer to the horizon, the light that you`re emitting takes longer and longer to climb back out to reach bob. In fact, the radiation you emit right as you cross the horizon will hover right there at the horizon forever and never reach him. You`ve long since passed through the horizon, but the light signal telling him that won`t reach him for an infinitely long time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins