Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Light Is The Fastest Moving Thing, Right??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Chris Duncan on March 30, 2000 22:30:59 UTC

O.k., here is my question. Einstein himself said that light is the fastest moving thing in the universe. Light is a form of energy. If what almost everybody is saying is correct, then energy has mass. Well, the same Albert Einstein that proved light to be the fastest moving thing in the universe, said that the gravity well of a black hole can pull light into it. He also theorized that black holes continually shrink due to the energy being emitted called "gravitational waves". If gravitational waves are a form of energy, thus having mass, then why isn`t it being pulled in as well? I mean, if the velocity of light-energy isn`t enough so it can`t escape, does the gravitational wave-energy move faster? Or did Albert Einstein contradict himself?

This really is puzzling me, so if anybody can help me,thanks alot.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins