Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Destroying Energy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by LAURA SABOLICH on March 24, 2000 03:41:19 UTC

I found your question on black holes very interesting. Obviously you don`t know very much about them. I am doing a research report on black holes for my physics class. Black holes are formed by the collapsing of a white dwarf star into an extremely dense glob of matter. This matter has such a huge density that the gravity it produces won`t let anything, not even light, escape. That does not mean the light or any energy is destroyed. Sorry, I know it`s fun to prove a teacher wrong, but don`t go overboard. The interesting question is that now it has been proposed that black holes evaporate and eventually explode by emitting Hawking radiation, but if that is true, no one knows what will happen to the information the hole sucked up, and information can`t exist without energy. That is something you can look up. But even the really smart physicists don`t know the answer yet, so don`t expect your teacher to have the answer. Sometimes you have to find them yourself.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins