Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Just Wonderring

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by CL on March 21, 2000 17:07:47 UTC

I understand exactly what you`re saying......but one thing I don`t get is that if energy equals mass, then gravitational potential energy is mass. Therefore the more gravitational potential energy you have, the more massive you are...... but wait....The more mass you have, the more gravitational potential energy you have, which in turn has mass. Now do you get what I`m tryin to say?
Gravitational potentail energy has mass which has gravitational potential energy which has mass which has gravitational potential energy.....go on forever! Somewhere it has to stop, or else anything with mass that sits on a table weighs an infinite amount (obviously a contradiction to reality). Where did I go wrong in my reasoning? I can pretty much answer that for myself. But I`d like to see somebody else answer just to be sure, because it is my reasoning that the two energies do compound each other strengths, but at an exponetialy decreasing value. Therefore the mathematical answer would be that the mass converges to a specific value (ever takin` calculus?) But can never be computed exactly, only nearly accurate to within an infinite amount of accuracy....Do I make since? Let me know if you understand all this jibber-jabber....

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins