Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Light

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by CL on March 21, 2000 16:51:58 UTC

Alright, here it goes.....
As has been said a million times, REACHING THE SPEED OF LIGHT IS IMPOSSIBLE! for many reasons...
1. Lorentz transformation mounts to infinity, (the size of the universe shrinks to zero in the direction of motion)
2. Time dialates infinitely, meaning that all motion inside the vessel traveling at such speeds stops. All physical processes stop.
3. As an object approaches the speed of light, mass mounts to infinity, therefore the closer it gets to light speed, the harder you have to push the object to accelerate it. Even a nuclear bomb the size of three galaxies, doesn`t contain the necessary energy to get a speck of dust going light speed, (although it will get very close to it).

Even though I could go on with more reasons, I want to elaborate on the ones above....
You see, if The universe shrinks to zero, then in order to steer out of the way of something, you have zero time to make an adjustment. You`re doomed to crash the instant you reach light speed. Not only that, but the explosive impact of even, say, a peice of space dust would imediately destroy your ship. Since there is plenty of space dust to hit, and all elementary particles will be infinietly blue shifted, your ship will incinierate long before it ever reached light speed. So you see, not only could you not control your ship, (you wouldn`t even have a ship) but you couldn`t control yourself as all processes stop. But since this is all relative, you would be able to view things in your ship happing at normal pace, but every instant to you, would be an eterntiy for the universe. The universe would end in a blink an eye (your eye) and you would have been long since destroyed. I hope this answered you question ok...? But remember that it makes absolutly no sence to travel at light speed in a conventional way. As far as any other possibility that has so far eluded science, I couldn`t tell you.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins