Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Time Travel2

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Astronomy Net Editor on March 17, 2000 17:19:28 UTC

The time for the person traveling near the speed of light slows down with respect to the time of those not moving.

The person traveling has no concept of this difference. What may pass as an hour or two for him may be days on Earth.

Plenty of experiments have been done to study and verify this. The US Naval Observatory send two atomic clocks on an around the world trip. One clock went east, the other west. The eastbound clock traveled faster than the westbound clock because of the Earth`s rotation. When the clocks arrived home, their times differed. The faster moving clock was behind the other clock by some measurable amount of time.

There is a formula for calculating this effect given the velocity, I just can`t remember it now. I`ll look through the old college books and see whatI find.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins