Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Will Asked

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by will on February 20, 2000 08:51:31 UTC

and i thank u

i have no real need this will not affect my job or my life

my desire is to understand how it works

i guess what i was asking was really take to too high a level

to put it simpler ill say it like this if thiers a lazer/light on mars pointing at the earth and one on a meteor that is flying past mars at say half the speed of light zipping by on lets say nearly a collision course but its gona miss just as it flys past mars heading towards earth it turns on its lazer/light so does the one on mars it turns on at the exact same moment that this meteor is flying by

will the light from both reach the earth at the same time ?

the light from the meteor isnt going to be traveling at c or nearly c + the speed the meteor was going

both will reach the earth at about the same time because no particals or photons can travel faster than c or travel at c have i got that right ?

light from mars takes about 16 minutes to get to us so the light from both will get to us in about 16 minutes we wouldnt see the light from the meteor first cause it was moveing at the earth at a much faster rate right?

i took a look at the speacial realativy formula so i saw how it works were it cant reach c

and i thank u again

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins