Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Black Hole Formula

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Bruce jensen/">Bruce jensen on May 23, 1997 15:26:18 UTC

: Can some one please explain this formula to me:

: Mb=Co^3/2(pi)GPo^2

: Where Mb is black hole mass. Co is black hole : Circumference. And Po is period of orbit. How do I find : Po, and how do I apply G, Newton's Gravitational constant. : Any help would be appreciated. -Nate

nate - not sure if I can help, but it looks like a "plug & chug" equation to me. If you know the BH mass and everything else already, just rearrange the known numbers and solve for Po. However, I don't recognize the equation, and wonder if there might not be some additional parentheses that might help to show which factors are actually on top or bottom of the equation. Finally, in every equation I have seen with G in it, there at least two masses mentioned with gravitational "attraction" to each other. If you have the BH mass on one side, you probably need the mass of the orbiting body somewhere on the other...no?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins